Summary of Content: Letters from Mr. William H. Seat, the 2nd regiment Texas infantry, Captain William Christian. Mexican war news, with a decree by Benito Juarez and a French protest. Letter from New Orleans, North Carolina, and Galveston. General Jeff Thompson’s naval battle at Plum Point.
Background: A detailed inventory is available. , , The Telegraph and Texas Register, later variously known as the Weekly, Tri-weekly, or Daily Telegraph, was the first newspaper in Texas to achieve a degree of permanence. The paper was begun on 10 October 1835 and it became the official organ of the Republic of Texas, organized a few months later. After a decline, Edward H. Cushing took charge of the paper in 1856, restoring the Telegraph to preeminence among Texas papers. From 1861 to 1865 the Telegraph encountered the same difficulties as other Confederate papers, particularly shortage of newsprint, resorting to using wallpaper and wrapping paper. When federal forces closed the Mississippi River, Cushing organized a pony express to gather and forward the news. On 6 February 1864 the Daily Telegraph replaced the Tri-Weekly Telegraph.