Redmond, Dennis (fl. 1856-1865) Southern cultivator. [Vol. 20, no. 5 & 6 (May & June, 1862)]
Gilder Lehrman Collection #: GLC05959.11.04
Author/Creator: Redmond, Dennis (fl. 1856-1865)
Place Written: Augusta, Georgia
Date: May & June 1862
Pagination: 32 p. ; 26.5 x 17 cm.
Summary of Content: Cattle for the South, Negro Slavery, What Shall be Done with the Contrabands, Virginia War Whiskey. A letter to the editor encourages the North to understand and support slavery due to its mild climate and uplifting work environment. An editorial encourages farmers to plant more corn. Another short editorial surmises Lincoln’s debt. Ads take up the last 11 pages of this issue.
People: Redmond, Dennis
Historical Era: Civil War and Reconstruction, 1861-1877
Keywords/Subjects: Civil War;, Military History;, Confederate States of America;, Agriculture and Animal Husbandry;, African American History;, Slavery;, Contrabands;, Alcohol;, President;, Finance;, Debt;
Sub Era: The American Civil War
Background: During the Civil War the railroad through Augusta connected the eastern and western Confederates. In spite of a 50% literacy rate in the South, Georgia’s agricultural press was renowned and quite progressive. By 1860 there were five agricultural journals published in Georgia; the Southern Cultivator, a monthly journal established in 1843 in Augusta, was one of the most respected in the nation. The Cultivator promoted the formation of active agricultural societies and urged mixed husbandry. The journal also printed examples of the growth of many bureaucratic ideas., , James Camak developed the Southern Cultivator. Dennis Redmond, an indigo farmer, and Rev. C.W. Howard, edited the Cultivator during 1861. By 1862, Redmond was the editor and publisher, with an editorial department consisting of Howard, Dr. M.W. Philips, William N. White, and Robert Nelson. In 1864, the editors are listed as Redmond and White. Later William Louis Jones (1827-1914) purchased the paper with his father in 1866 and acted as editor. A professor of science and agriculture at the University of Georgia, he also edited Henry W. Grady’s Southern Farm and was the first director of the Georgia Agricultural Experiment Station. He sold the paper in 1881, although he continued to write a monthly column until 1884.Order Image