These materials address the creation of the US Constitution from the failure of the Articles of Confederation through the controversial election of 1800 in both official records and personal correspondence. Documents from this era also illustrate the turbulence of this era as the United States struggled to create a national identity.
- Articles of Confederation
- Letters discuss epidemics, such as yellow fever, in the founding era and their impact on the country
- Relations with American Indians
- Shays’ Rebellion (1786–1787)
- Documents relating to the US Constitutional Convention
- Ratification of the US Constitution
- George Washington’s inauguration
- Whiskey Rebellion (1794)
Educational materials including essays, timelines, multimedia, interactives, featured primary sources, and other teaching resources can be found in the History by Era section of our website. Our Featured Primary Sources include introductions, transcriptions, and images of documents, available to all educators, with additional content of questions for discussion and printable hand-outs for Affiliate School members.