Discover, explore, and learn about the stories that make up the history of the United States.
AP US History Exam
- AP US History Exam Last Minute Prep videos offer tips and tricks for success on the AP US History Exam.
- Brush up on key topics in American history in our AP US History Reader and recommend other essays from our website to add to the list.
Opportunities for Students
- Nominate your favorite teacher for the National History Teacher of the Year Award.
- Dive into our Top 10 Tools to get you started on your National History Day project.
- Enter the Dear George Washington Contest (K–5) or the Civil War Essay Contest (6–12).
- Apply for an Internship.
- Experience a soldier’s life through letters home from the American Revolution to the Persian Gulf War.
- Explore propaganda posters of the 1940s and World War II.
- Ride with the Freedom Riders and experience their journey through the South.
- View American elections throughout out history in our Electing a President Interactive Timeline.
Primary Sources, Essays, and Videos
History by Era contains our historical content, organized by time period, with resources ranging from essays and videos by award-winning historians to featured primary sources with historical introductions, transcripts, and images, useful for research for your National History Day project, your AP lessons, and your American history papers. Learn how to navigate the History by Era section here.
If you have used a Gilder Lehrman essay, video, featured primary source, or Gilder Lehrman Collection document in a research paper, check out our Citation Guidelines for online resources.