Gilder Lehrman Fellowships are open to doctoral candidates, postdoctoral scholars, college and university faculty at every rank, and independent scholars working in American history. International scholars are eligible to apply.
- Complete their research within a year of notification of the award
- Visit the Gilder Lehrman Institute in New York City to meet the Fellowship Coordinator and record a 2–3 minute video interview
- Submit a 750–1000 word essay on their topic for possible inclusion on the Gilder Lehrman website and a separate paragraph documenting the archival collections consulted during the fellowship
Fellows can download a list of affordable accommodations here.
To apply, candidates should submit:
- A project proposal including information about the archives to be consulted, an anticipated budget, and applicant’s full contact information
- A curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation from established scholars
Applications must be postmarked or submitted via email by May 1, 2014. All applicants will be notified by June 6, 2014.
Application materials may be sent to:
Gilder Lehrman Fellowship Program
49 West 45th Street, Sixth Floor
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (646) 366-9666, ext. 29
Fax: (646) 366-9669