The Gilder Lehrman History Scholar Award recognizes outstanding graduating college seniors who have demonstrated academic and extracurricular excellence in American history or American studies as well as a commitment to public service and community involvement.
Fifteen winners will be selected from candidates across the country. Awardees will attend specially arranged meetings with leading American historians and VIP behind-the-scenes tours of archives. The recipients will be reimbursed for up to $600 for travel expenses to New York, and room and board will be provided during the award weekend.
At the time of application students:
- Must be considered graduating seniors in an accredited college or university in the United States. (Must have already graduated or expect to graduate by the end of the spring semester).
- Must be a history or American studies major with an American history concentration.
All application materials must be received on or before March 1, 2014. Notifications will be sent out in the first week of April 2014.
Applicants must submit the following materials:
- Academic writing sample of 7–10 pages. The sample can be a paper, an essay, or a thesis chapter.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from American history or American studies faculty
- Personal Statement: a 500-word academic autobiography describing your interest in American history and how that connects with your involvement in civic life
- Official transcript(s)
- Resume/ CV
Award is conditional upon successful graduation and coming in-person to be recognized.