At the time of application students:
- Must be considered juniors or seniors in an accredited college or university in the United States.
- Must be a history or American studies major with an American history concentration.
- An academic writing sample of 7–10 pages
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from an American history or American studies professor
- Personal statement in the form of a 500-word academic autobiography giving special attention to achievements in American history and public service
- An official transcript, which can be mailed to:
The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
Attn: History Scholars
49 West 45th Street, Sixth Floor
New York, NY 10036
- The application for 2016 is now closed.
- Applicants will be notified by the first week of May.
- The program will be held June 6–10, 2016, in New York City.