Donate family papers and significant historical materials to the Gilder Lehrman Collection and preserve them for posterity.
The Gilder Lehrman Institute collects original historical documents that highlight the history of the United States. We are particularly interested in twentieth-century materials including letters from American servicemen and women, posters, personal letters, diaries, and photographs. Priority will be given to materials that enhance the educational mission of the Institute and address the historical research needs of educators, students, scholars, and the general public.
The Institute will evaluate materials according to the following criteria:
- Historical and/or aesthetic significance
- Potential for educational use, exhibition, or scholarship
- Physical condition and integrity
- Ability of the Institute to conserve, maintain, store, and provide access to the materials
- Clear title and freedom from any legal impediments to transfer of ownership
If you would like more information about donating your materials to the Gilder Lehrman Collection, please fill out this form and our staff will contact you.