One of the benefits of Affiliate membership is the ability to create custom resource lists through the History Toolbox.
My Lesson Toolbox helps you easily gather and organize essays, primary sources, multimedia, and related materials found on the Gilder Lehrman Institute website. Create a reading list, a lesson plan, or simply group items according to your interests.
There are two ways to create new lists and add items to a list: directly from a page on www.gilderlehrman.org or by selecting items from your All Favorited Resources list.
Create or Add to Lists
- Log in using your username and password.
- Go to a webpage that you want to include in one of your custom lists (for example, an essay, a video, a featured primary source, or a primary source from the Gilder Lehrman Collection).
- Click on the toolbox symbol at the top right. A box will appear with options to “View/Edit your lists,” “Select a list in your History Toolbox to save,” and “Create a new list in your History Toolbox.”
- To place your chosen item in a pre-existing list, click on the dropdown menu under “Select a list in your History Toolbox to save.” Choose the list you want to add the item to (that list’s name will appear in the field) and click on the “Save” box at right. You will get a message saying “Save successful!”
- To create a new list for this item, click on the “Create a new list in your History Toolbox.” Type in the name of your new list, assign a grade level (optional), select an Era or Sub-Era and a Related Subject (required), enter any notes about the new list, and choose whether to make the list public for other members of the Affiliate School Program or keep it private. When you click “Save” at the bottom of the page, you will save the new list in your History Toolbox and, at the same time, you will save this particular item to that new list.
- You can click on “Go view your new list now” or continue to explore the website and add items to any of your lists.
To work with a pre-existing list
- Clicking on “View/Edit your lists” will bring you to your History Lesson Toolbox page, which shows all your lists. You can also reach this page by clicking on “My Profile” at the top of the webpage and then on “My Lesson Toolbox” in the left navigation menu.
- Your lists include All Favorited Resources (items you selected by clicking on the red heart at the top of the page), Private Lists, and Published Lists. To the right of each list name, you have options to view, edit, or delete lists. Click on those options to access the individual list. From there you can
- copy an item from one list and place it in another list
- add notes for the entire list or for items within the list
- change the order of your items
- create a pdf to save or print
- delete an item or an entire list (Deletions will not be final until you hit the “Save” button.)
Please note: If you delete a resource from a custom list, it *will remain* in your All Favorited Resources. If you delete a resource from All Favorited Resources, it will be removed until you favorite it again.
Browse and share lists made by other Affiliate School members
- Find other Affiliate members’ public lists by exploring their profiles in the Community section or by browsing Affiliate Resource Lists within each Sub-era and subject in the History by Era section.
- If you discover a great list, you can favorite it just like any other resource. Please note: If the creator of a list you have favorited decides to delete it or make it private, you may lose access to those resources. Be sure to save any critical lists locally on your desktop.
- Even better, you can promote a favorite list to fellow Affiliate members by clicking the “like” button with the thumbs-up icon. Within each History by Era subject and sub-era, you can then sort Affiliate Resource Lists by popularity.
- If you really love a list, you can copy all the resources to your own “All Favorited Resources” list by selecting “Copy all items to my favorites list.”