Ham4Progress Award for Educational Advancement
The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History is proud to partner with Hamilton on the Ham4Progress Award for Educational Advancement. The award supports college-bound high school juniors from communities that directly experience the consequences of social injustice and/or discrimination.
This award will provide up to ten students $3,500 each for educational purposes in 2022. The $3,500 award must be used toward educational purposes, which may include
- Test preparation courses
- College visits
- Technology, including laptops, tablets, or other electronic devices used for learning
The award is open to college-bound students currently enrolled in grade 11 in the 50 United States and District of Columbia. Students will be subject to the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a member of a community that directly experiences the consequences of social injustice and/or discrimination
- Be a college-bound high school junior
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale
- Be enrolled in a school that is registered as a Gilder Lehrman Affiliate School in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia
Applications are now being accepted! Students must submit the following in the application:
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher. Teachers should answer the following prompts in their letter:
- How long have you known the student and in what capacity?
- Explain what qualifies the student for this award. Please provide specific examples.
- Official high school transcripts
- Personal statement, 350–500 words, on what the student is doing to further social justice and why it is an important issue for the student to address. Students should also explain how they exemplify Alexander Hamilton’s qualities of pursuit of knowledge, both inside and outside of the classroom, as well as his qualities of resilience, hard work, and initiative. In addition, a short explanation of how the funds will be used for educational advancement is required.
The deadline to submit an application is June 15, 2022. Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee using the criteria outlined in the Award Rubric in the Official Rules. Winners will be notified by October 7, 2022, and will be asked to submit any required materials by November 1, 2022.
Students should review the Official Rules for the award before applying.
Important Calendar Dates
- June 15, 2022: Deadline to submit the application
- October 7, 2022: Winners notified
- November 1, 2022: Required award paperwork due (winners only)
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com