Explore what life was like in the colonial era! The master teacher will discuss topics such as thinking like a historian, colonial fashion, food, recreation, and the diverse day-to-day experiences of the eighteenth century. Students will be encouraged to find evidence of life in colonial America by looking at documents in the Gilder Lehrman Collection and other primary sources. After learning about a new topic each week, students will complete a hands-on activity.
- The course begins on Wednesday, June 30, 2021.
- Classes occur once a week for six weeks.
- Class will not meet on July 21.
- Classes will begin at 4:00 p.m. ET/1:00 p.m. PT.
- Weekly classes are 45 minutes in length on Zoom. These sessions will incorporate lectures and activities conducted on the Zoom chat, polls, Q&As, and discussions.
This class is for upper elementary students (grades 3–5). Parents, teachers, and other adults are encouraged to view the class recordings, which will be made available on this course page.
LESSON SCHEDULE AND REGISTRATION
Registration is for the full 6-session course. Students must have a Gilder Lehrman account to register for a History School course. Create a free account here. Students under 13 must be registered by a parent/guardian. Please follow the instructions on the registration page.