At the time of application students
- must be considered juniors or seniors in an accredited college or university
- must be a history or American studies major with an American history concentration
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One letter must be from an American history or American studies professor. Only professional and academic recommendations will be accepted. Recommendations from family or friends will not be considered.
- A personal statement in the form of a 500-word academic autobiography giving special attention to achievements in American history and public service.
- An unofficial transcript.
Supplemental Application Materials
A panel of judges will choose finalists from the entire group of applicants. Finalists will be asked to submit supplemental application materials. Award winners will then be chosen from among the finalists who have submitted all required materials.
These materials include
- An academic writing sample of 7–10 pages
- An official transcript, which can be mailed to
The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
Attn: History Scholars
49 West 45th Street, Sixth Floor
New York, NY 10036
- The application for the 2018 award will open in September 2017.
- The 2018 program will be held in June 2018, in New York City.