The Gilder Lehrman Institute offers professional development and resources to assist teachers in their classrooms. The Institute has pioneered new models of history schools and programs, with proven success in improving academic achievement.
TEACHING LITERACY THROUGH HISTORY
- Teaching Literacy through History (TLTH) is a professional development program that trains educators to deliver rigorous instruction that develops students’ reading, writing, and analytical skills as emphasized by the Common Core State Standards through the use of historical texts and primary source documents. More>>
- Teacher Seminars - Learn in-depth content knowledge around specific US history themes. Led by historians and Gilder Lehrman–trained educators. More>>
- Online Courses - Earn graduate credit for individual courses or for an M.A. in American History—on your schedule. More>>
- Affiliate School Program - This free program provides schools access to educational resources, events, and tools designed to bring American history to life in the classroom. More>>
- AP US History Study Guide aligned with the new AP US History Exam, features videos, timelines, primary sources, essays, and more.
- Interactive Features
- Experience a soldier’s life through letters home from the American Revolution to the Persian Gulf War.
- Explore propaganda posters of the 1940s and World War II.
- Ride with the Freedom Riders and experience their journey through the South.
- View American elections throughout out history in our Electing a President Interactive Timeline.
- History by Era contains our historical content, organized by time period, with resources ranging from essays and videos by award-winning historians to featured primary sources with historical introductions, transcripts, and images. Learn how to navigate the History by Era section here.
- Additional primary sources in the Gilder Lehrman Collection. Put your own search terms in the box in the left column here and select the filters for era, theme, or object type.