“History by Era” is the Institute’s gateway to our historical content. Each of the ten Eras is divided into thematic Sub-eras, which all follow the same template so readers can move easily from one to another:
- Introductions to each Era and Sub-era written by distinguished scholars offering fifty unique interpretations of American history.
- Essays written by eminent historians on a wide variety of themes in American history.
- Featured Primary Sources supported by a historical introduction, images, transcripts, and, for members of the Affiliate School Program, document-based questions by a master teacher.
- Multimedia presentations, from five-minute responses to important historical questions to full-hour lectures by leading historians.
- Lesson plans and other classroom resources by master teachers.
Begin your exploration with an Introduction to History by Era or click one of the buttons below to dive into a historical era.