FELLOWS ARE REQUIRED TO
- Undertake their research in New York City between June 1, 2023, and January 31, 2024
- Visit the office of the Gilder Lehrman Institute during their research trip to New York City
- Submit a report of 500–750 words on the results of their research, plus a separate paragraph documenting the archival collections consulted during the term of the fellowship
TO APPLY, CANDIDATES MUST SUBMIT
- A brief project proposal (up to two pages) including a 2–3 paragraph summation of your research and a list of five documents from the Gilder Lehrman Collection to be used in the project, and a sentence about each indicating how the document pertains to your research topic. The Collection can be accessed in the database American History, 1493–1945: http://www.americanhistory.amdigital.co.uk/. More than 100 institutions have acquired American History, 1493–1945, but if your college does not have a subscription, please ask the library’s acquisitions officer to request a free trial at https://www.amdigital.co.uk/products/free-trials.
- A curriculum vitae or resumé (of any length)
- A letter of recommendation to be submitted by a faculty member who has taught you.
The application portal for the 2023 Gilder Lehrman College Fellowships in American History will be open from January 15 to April 10, 2023.
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, April 10, 2023. All applicants will be notified of their status by Monday, April 24, 2023.
Phone: (646) 366-9666, ext. 129