Learn more about the Declaration of Independence from such leading historians as David Armitage, James Oliver Horton, Pauline Maier, and Gordon S. Wood. You can watch full lectures (45 minutes to an hour) or short clips that introduce related topics and are particularly suited for classroom use.
Lectures (up to one hour)
- “The Global History of the Declaration of Independence” by David Armitage
- “American Scripture: The Making of the Declaration of Independence” by Pauline Maier
Clips (one to 4 minutes)
- “The Independence of the States” by David Armitage
- “The International Influence of the Declaration” by David Armitage
- “Slavery and the American Revolution” by James Oliver Horton
- “What Caused the American Revolution?” by Pauline Maier
- “Two American Revolutions” by Andrew Robertson
- “The Significance of the American Revolution” by Gordon Wood
Gilder Lehrman Book Breaks features the most exciting history scholars in America discussing their books live with a Gilder Lehrman host, followed by a Q&A with home audiences. This hour-long program happens every Sunday at 2 p.m. ET. Here are some of our recent programs focused on the Declaration of Independence.